Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Understanding Trigger Points/Tender Points

Let's talk about dealing with Trigger Points.  This is just information I have learned over the years trying to figure out what was wrong with me.  Trigger Points are points on your body that when lightly pressed causes pain.  Much more pain then it should when touch by the light pressure.  Many call them Tender Points.  See Picture below for where Trigger points are typically located.
 I call them Trigger Points as they cause pain, though I do believe there is a difference technically between Trigger and Tender Points.  All I know is I have these spots and they hurt.  As an example of how much they can hurt I will use an experience I have almost daily.

I have a Siamese cat that is almost 18 years old and she loves to lay on me.  At her heaviest she weighed 8 pounds and she has lost weight recently as her health is deteriorating.  If she steps or walks on certain areas of me her little feet will send me screaming in pain.  I have to be careful not to yell at her or push her off as it's not her fault and she has always done this.  I just have to coax her to another spot.  She barely touches but it hurts.

I have 3 boys.  They are great boys, well most of the time, but they are boys and they are rough.  Even as babies they were rougher then the girls I know.  So they come to give a hug or rub my back trying to be nice to me, but they don't understand how a touch can make mommy not feel good, especially my 5 year old and youngest.  Some days I just don't want to be touched and it is a very hard as a mom not to want to hug your kids because you know it will hurt.  I usually just cringe and go through the pain as I want my boys to feel loved.  As they get older it is tougher to hide it from them.

If you think you have Trigger/Tender points talk with your doctor.  Be persistent.  Though you may not have the so called criteria, but still be suffering from Fibromyalgia.  Unfortunately this is the closest to a test we have, but it really is not a great diagnostic tool.  It is more a process of eliminating anything else that could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment