Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving in the Land of Medicine

I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving.  We who have Fibromyalgia do have a hard time focusing on the good things in life.  I try everyday to be thankful for something as it helps the spirit.  As tough as times are I have a lot to be thankful for.

This year I will be in a bit of a fog.  I am in a major flare with my Fibromyalgia and it is making this Thanksgiving hard to be thankful.  I am in pain because of my ankle sprain.  The boot I wear to help that heal is throwing my back out and the Fibromyalgia compounds it 100 fold.

I did go to the doctor's office after physical therapy yesterday and more or less demanded to see my doctor.  I was in tears I hurt so bad.  Thanks to one of the wonderful front office girls who went back on my behalf was able to get them to see me.  So I am grateful that she cared enough to help.  My doctor upped my muscle relaxants to twice a day and wants me to take Vicoden every 6 hours for pain.  Needless to say I am out of it.

By being out of it, the guilt is creeping in.  I can't do anything.  I am suppose to stay in bed and give my back complete rest.  I feel like I am neglecting my family.  I know I am not, but it is how I feel.  I can't cook, clean, do laundry, much less put out the holiday decorations like normal.  Will have to wait a bit longer this year.

We are going to Ed's sister's for Thanksgiving Dinner so I don't have to worry about that.  We are to bring appetizers (something I am famous for ), but Ed is going to have to make them this year.  He will probably involve the boys so good time for them, but I hate putting that on him after these 14 hour days he has been working.

I will be just a blob at Thanksgiving Dinner as the medicines make me sleep.  But grateful that they are at least dulling the pain some.  I know I can be asleep and comfortable at my sister in law's so that helps. 

Black Friday shopping is out for me this year as well.  I am so disappointed.  I have gone every year with one of my closest friends since we have know each other, something like 17 or 18 years.  I worry that I have let her down even though I know she understands.  Grateful her twin sister and another friend who were going to join us will be able to go out with her and she won't miss out.

Sitting here semi in a fog I still know I have many blessings.  I have a loving family, caring friends, and so many other things to be grateful for.  So I wish everyone the very best for Thanksgiving and to remind you to focus on our blessings instead of the things that bring us down.  In the long run positive thought will bring positive results.

Happy Thanksgiving and many blessing to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment