Since I have suffered with Fibromyalgia for several years I have found things that I like that I will suggest to give as gifts. I also read on http://www.webmd.com/ in the Fibromyalgia Community that listed gifts for those in pain. So between myself and this list I have compiled a list to help you shop for that person you care about care for their Fibromyalgia symptoms.
Here is my list of gifts for Fibromyalgia and/or other Chronic Pain condition:
- Heat Wraps (small or large) I received a full body microwavable wrap from my husband for Christmas one year. It is probably the most used item in my Fibro arsenal. He bought it for me at Origins. I also have a small one for the neck I purchased at The Body Shop.
- Massage is always great. I do recommend you check that the massage therapist has experience with Fibromyalgia and Myofascia massage. People with Fibro need a gentle touch and there are techniques to help the patient feel better and not cause more pain.
- Heated Mattress Cover is again something I have and use nightly in the cooler months. I turn it on a bit before I climb into bed and it is warm and cozy and doesn't stiffen my body. I also use it in the morning to loosen up the muscles a bit before I get up.
- Maid Service. Even a one time deep cleaning would be a great help. Sometimes we just can't get down to clean the floor trim, or things up high like lights and fans. If you can't afford to purchase the service make a coupon for your Fibro friend or family member for you to let them have the day off and you clean the house for them.
- E-Reader or Kindle. Many have times when a book is too heavy to hold for long periods of time and since these are light it can help when they are down. They can escape the pain by reading a great novel of their choice. It is something they can take with them to their many doctor appointments as well.
- Bath Pillows are also great. Soaking in a hot bath soothes the body, but if your head is not supported it can cause pain. With Fibro again we need things to help us with daily tasks. I have one of these and it does really help when I need to sit back in the warmth of a hot bath.
- Warm Cozy Socks. Great stocking stuffer idea. Those with Fibro are always looking to stay warm. Socks can really warm a person up and a nice, non tight, comfortable fabric are great. I know I have a large collection and when I am home it is all I wear and I buy more whenever I get the chance.
- DVDs of their favorite movies. When in pain sometimes you can't do anything but lay there. It is great to get lost in a great comedy or edge of your seat movie. Or another option is to up their cable or dish subscription to get Showtime or HBO if they don't have it.
- CDs or ITunes card for their favorite soothing and relaxing music. Or even and MP3 player if they don't have one. As they sit in the tub relaxing or burning a scented candle it is another way to escape the pain some.
Some of these I have, some I would like. When you are gift giving for a person with Fibromyalgia or other Chronic Pain conditions I think it is important to keep that in mind. People who suffer pain and exhaustion feel guilty quite often if they take time for themselves and by giving a gift for them to do it they feel less guilty. I know this from my life and experiences. I want to put my boys and husband, extended family and friends first, but there are times when I need to think of me first so I can put others first.