Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Share and Educate

I feel it is really important to educate those that are close to you about your chronic conditions be it Fibromyalgia, Anxiety, Depression, or any other chronic condition you suffer from.  Without educating your family and friends they cannot begin to understand what you are going through and why you may be acting a certain way.  It is easy to find information on any condition via the Internet or asking your doctor.  It may even be good for them to find a support group to help the learn more and be able to talk with other who support loved with chronic conditions.

I decided I needed to blog about this after last night.  I had what I call a meltdown.  Everything came pouring out.  I was crying, babbling, and in a very scary spot for those around me.  My Fibromyalgia, anxiety, panic attacks, and depression got the best of me yesterday.  I was even so dizzy I fell back into the closet door and bruised my back.

Last night when I calmed down and such I vented some on Facebook so I did not put as much on my family, though my husband, Ed, was right by me during the whole episode.  After all the concern from friends and then Ed checking in on me today because he was worried I realized just what I put everyone through.  When I worry and scare my husband I know it was bad as he is not a worrier.  Yes the opposite of me.

I have read articles about talking with family and friends about your conditions.  I have had Ed and Nicholas, my oldest son read a few that are for the support people of a person suffering from the conditions I suffer from.  But after I chatted with my husband I have decided he needs to learn more not only to be educated, but to help me when I have these meltdowns.  They need to learn during this period of emotional breakdown I am having I need to be loved, understood, and not pressured to be something I am not.  These are real conditions and something we cannot snap out of and for me it usually will affect me for a few days after the episode.

So while we focus on ourselves, which is extremely important it is also important to sit down and talk to those that care about us.  Find information from Internet articles, books, or taking them to the doctor with you if you are comfortable with that.  They need help understanding what we go through on a daily basis.  We also need to be considerate of their feelings.  Communication is the key to helping everyone have the best information to help with each others needs.  Please check my link section for some areas to start, then branch out on what is specific to you personally.  Also please feel free to share links in the comment section.  Let's help each other while helping those we love understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment